Memory of Maidan
The set of events and efforts that formed the basis of the phenomenon of Euromaidan, currently have unambiguous interpretation and evaluation, but certainly, we can say: Maidan became a kind of epicenter of major changes in the country and a symbol of patriotism and sacrifice. It started the process of transformation, not only on the political scene, but also commenced social and cultural transformations. Obviously, the consequences of this explosion of anger and dignity, which unleashed enormous social energy, will be felt for decades both in geopolitical terms and in internal social and political relations. The significance of the event, the memory of hundreds of people who paid with their lives for their choices and civil position, determine the need for its full comprehension and study, preservation and presentation of historical memory
Aim and objective
• To choose the best project proposal by the competition procedure for realization
• To involve the best architects from different countries because of the worldwide level of the Maidan activities
• To take into account the previous work for the memorialization and museumification of Revolution of Dignity field and to raise a question of the future of Ukraine by the architecture and arts instruments.
Task of the competition
• To work-out the project proposal for the memorial of Heavenly Hundred Heroes
• To work-out the project proposal for the building of Museum of Revolution of Dignity that has to include the museum and culture-educational functions
• To work-out the public space as a part of memorial-museum complex
Location and site
The site is situated in the very central part of Kyiv in Pechersky and Shevchenkivsky districts.
The place for memorial-museum complex is located exactly on the territory of the Revolution of Dignity events, on the Alley of Heavenly Hundred Heroes.
The Alley of Heavenly Hundred Heroes is the main place of commemorating the tragic events of Revolution of Dignity. The location of the site on the hill of the Alley of Heavenly Hundred Heroes is symbolic, as during the fighting actions of the Revolution of Dignity de facto unarmed protesters marched from the lowland of Khreschatyk Street to storm the “hill” against security forces armed with rearms. The Alley of Heavenly Hundred Heroes became the “Ukrainian Golgotha.” Museum building on the hill shall symbolize the triumph of good and resurrection from the dead.
The competition „National Memorial to the Heavenly Hundred Heroes and Revolution of Dignity Museum“ is based on results created in the Terra Dignitas competition.